By Felix Kuyinu
In a follow up to the recent report on Echonews as regards the housemaid who battered her boss identified as Mistura in Ejigbo, there have been reports that the suspect is yet to be arraigned before the court which has been dissatisfaction to the victim and her family.
Detectives at State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Panti, on Thursday disclosed that they were monitoring the victim’s health status before laying charges against the suspect.
On March 5, the maid, Susan Samson, was alleged to have stolen a sum of money which was later found in her bag alongside some properties belonging to her boss and in her attempt to escape after there was a call for the agent who linked her with her boss, she poured blended pepper on her boss, Mistura, a secondary school teacher and repeatedly smashed a bottle of champagne on her.
The bottle caused a severe injury in the brain of the victim who is under medical care at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).
Mistura has since then been in a coma at the hospital and the situation of Samson not been charged before the court has been causing grievances from the former’s family.
However, the police have in response to their dissatisfaction noted the motive behind the delay.
“Investigation is still on and the suspect is still in custody. As soon as we confirm the status of the victim’s health, the suspect will be charged to court,” a detective at SCID said.
“We don’t want a situation where the suspect will be charged to court when we are not sure of the outcome of the victim’s treatment.”
Doctors at LASUTH, however, said that the victim was responding “speedily” to treatment.
“The patient came out of coma few days ago and she has been recovering speedily. Her condition is getting better by the day but she’s still under close observation to determine further surgeries to be carried out on her,” said a doctor who pleaded anonymity at LASUTH.
He said that only few close family members were allowed to see the patient at periodic intervals.
The Chief Medical Director of LASUTH, Prof. Wale Oke, said that the victim did not need intensive care again.
“The plan now is to move the patient to the ward as soon as there is bed space available,” said the LASUTH boss.
He, however, added that the victim was not completely conscious.
Like this content?
Subscribe to Echonews to receive our community news update in your inbox