NEWSTOP STORIES

Nigerian Man Denied Bail in Australia Over Alleged $5m NDIS Fraud

Share
Advertisements

By Emmanuel Daniji

A Nigerian living in Australia, Foluso Omole, has been denied bail after being accused of involvement in an alleged $5 million fraud linked to Australia’s National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Omole, 38, was arrested by the Australian Federal Police at Adelaide Airport last Friday as he was reportedly preparing to leave the country.

He appeared before the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday, where prosecutors argued that he had severed his ties in Adelaide and was planning to travel to Nigeria.

The court heard that Omole, who holds Australian and Nigerian citizenship, had purchased a one-way ticket to Nigeria before his arrest. Prosecutors also alleged that he had transferred substantial amounts of money to Nigeria during the period of the alleged offences, where his wife reportedly lives.

At the time of the alleged fraud, Omole was reportedly working as an NDIS coordinator while also operating two businesses that employed several workers.

Prosecutors alleged that he improperly obtained information from a woman employed by the National Disability Insurance Agency over a six-year period and used the information to fraudulently obtain NDIS benefits.

The woman, who has also been charged in connection with the alleged scheme, was expected to appear before the court on Thursday.

However, Omole’s lawyer, Mark Twiggs, disputed the prosecution’s claim that his client was preparing to flee Australia.

Twiggs told the court that Omole had actually planned to travel to London using a return ticket purchased before authorities raided the woman’s home. He maintained that the allegations against his client had been denied and argued that there were sufficient grounds for bail.

The defence lawyer also highlighted Omole’s lack of a previous criminal record and argued that he had legitimate reasons for travelling.

Omole has not yet entered pleas to two charges relating to alleged dealings in proceeds of crime. One charge concerns proceeds of an indictable offence valued at more than $1 million, while the other relates to money or property worth more than $1 million allegedly derived from criminal activity.

Magistrate Patrick Hill, however, rejected the bail application, citing concerns that Omole could abscond.

The magistrate said the circumstances surrounding Omole’s proposed travel were relevant to determining whether he posed a flight risk. He ultimately concluded that there were sufficient grounds to consider Omole a flight risk and ordered that he remain in custody.

The allegations against Omole have not been proven in court. He remains presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

 

 

READ TOP STORIES