Echonews Nigeria Community News

Echonews – GET the latest community news from Nigeria

Shammeh vows to investigate stolen cables


By Abolaji Adebayo

The Chairman of Isolo Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Hon. Shamsudeen Olaleye (Shammeh) has vowed to investigate the cables stolen at the council secretariat…


He was reacting to the discovery Monday morning that the newly replaced cables linking the transformer with the electricity sources at the local government have been stolen.

Hon. Shamsudeen Olaleye (Shammeh)


This was a rude shock because officials of the Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) had worked on the transformer the previous Friday.


IKEDC officials confirmed that there was power failure at exactly 2:30am on that Sunday but the chairman and other council workers did not know that it was caused by the cable being carted away until they resumed on Monday.


Meanwhile, Shammeh warned the electricity workers to prepare for investigation, saying he would be forced to involve the police to unravel the thieves behind the stolen cables.


“Tell your boss to prepare his workers for questioning as I’m going to involve the police to uncover the thieves and I’m going to charge the security officials on duty to be investigated too.


“I want the public to know whether it is IKEDC that came and took away its property to subject us to darkness despite the fact that we are not defaulting or some other hoodlums from outside… I will give you some days to do whatever you want to do before taking my own action,” he told the IKEDC workers present.


It was learnt that cables were once stolen before the chairman built a structure to secure the transformer against theft.

“I housed the transformer to prevent accessibility by non-authorised people. Because we didn’t want anybody to touch the transformer except the official of the electricity company. I wonder who could have entered there to remove the cables.”


Meanwhile, the Manager, Isolo Undertaking Office, Engr. Eric Okoro told ECHONEWS that they have sent the report of the incident to the headquarters at Alausa, saying they were still waiting response.


“We have sent the report of the incident to the headquarters and we are awaiting the response and action. “He said.