By Edith Igbokwe and Motola AbdulGafar
When the 20 Local Government and 37 Local Council Development Area (LCDA) chairmen were sworn in by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on July 27, 2021, they all made promises to be committed to the development of their various council areas.
Parameters were set to adjudge the performances of the council chairmen periodically such as 100 days in office.
However, the annual assessment has become a norm as residents are keen to rate their chairmen on their performance within a year interval.
As they celebrate their one year in office, many of the local government chairmen presented their scorecards with impressive records of achievements which were trailed by accolades from their residents.
ECHONEWS gathered that infrastructure development such as road rehabilitation, empowerments, youth development and drainage constructions among others were the common works embarked upon by many council chairmen in the last one year of their administration.
For instance in Ejigbo LCDA, the council chairman, Hon. Monsuru Oloyede (Obe) who is serving his second term in office boasted of some projects both the completed ones and the ongoing including some already lined up for execution. The projects are as follow:
* Construction of Central Motor Garage at Iyana-Ejigbo (under construction).
* Reconstruction of Ifoshi Road – from Iyana-Ejigbo Bus Stop (Ongoing).
* Reconstruction of Iyalaje Estate road, with drainage, culverts and interlocking (Ongoing)
* Total reconstruction of the Council Secretariat into a three storey ultra modern building (Completed).
* Procurement and rehabilitation of Ejigbo Multipurpose Building.
* Rehabilitation of the Primary Health care Centre (PHC), located at Morning Star, Aigbaka.
* Beautification of Iyalaje Estate Road with tree planting.
* Presentation of mini buses to the Council Staff Union (NULGE) and the Community Development Committee (CDC) each.
* Handing over of an official vehicle to the Ejigbo Grand Chief Imam.
* Presentation of newly branded uniforms to the Revenue Officers.
* Celebration of Year 2021 retiring staff in Grand style.
“The above and more are the breakdown of the first year in office (second tenure) of Obe. The giant strides are worthy of mention and support by the public,” a statement from the Public Affairs Unit/ Office of the SA Information and Strategy stated.
In Oshodi-Isolo LG, the council chairman, Otunba Kehinde Oloyede (Kendoo), who is the first timer, was generally applauded for his giant achievements within one year of his administration.
The achievements are as follow:
* Rehabilitation of 21 roads which include Akinniku, Ariyibi Oke, Odalume Link, Trombi Close, Opo-Osun Liverpool Road, Baderin/Makinde Links, and Orona/Adeyemi Link
* Digging of 15 pipe boreholes in various wards across the council area for residents as well as in schools.
* Liaising with state govertmnwt on rehabilitation of state owned roads
* Presentation of over 100 General Certificate of Education (GCE) forms to indigent students especially the brilliant students within the council to encourage their career pursuit.
* 150 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) forms to students seeking admission into higher institutions.
* Review of salaries of non-pensionable staff from paltry income to reasonable take home.
* Welfare packages for party members.
Following the presentation of his achiemwnts, Kendoo said: “I won’t rest until I see Oshodi being mentioned in the country as one of the best local governments if not the best and I will give my best to Oshodi-Isolo local government. It is a payback time for me. We will continue to impact positively, Oshodi deserves the best.”
For Otunba Adebayo Olasoju, who is also a first time (though twice as vice chairman) council chairman of Isolo LCDA, the best approach to achieve greatly for his local council is to plan.
To set out his strategies, he launched #towardsTheIsoloOfOurDreams mantra to guide his steps towards achieving his agenda.
His achievements in the last one year as presented in his scorecard are in various categories.
*Rehabilitation of roads which are: Kogberegbe Street, Mureni Street, Shonibare Street, Shodehinde, Olusola Faronbi, Ehingbeti, Lamina Lawal, Akinbaiye, Aderinto, Ashiriabo Link, Nwankibie Egbuniwe, Ayo Shonubi, Olalosebikan, which have been completed and some others still ongoing.
* Inauguration of Care for the Elderly Programme.
* Continuous sensitisation on Covid-19 and children immunisation.
* Organising Isolo LAWA Musical Fiesta
* Children’s day party for the children
* Ender of the year/Christmas Celebration
* Training of over 400 youths on various skills.
* Distribution of support fund and food items for over 200 aged during last Yuletide.
* Capacity training for council staff
* Provision and distribution of Christmas and Sallah gifts for staff
* Valentine Party with staff.
* Distribution of over 200 GCE Forms for indigent students in the council area.
* Provision of security gadget to the five police divisions in the council area
* Regular meeting with security operatives
The Chairman of Orile-Agege LCDA, Hon. Johnson Babatunde is a second term council chairman.
While addressing his people on the occasion of his one year in office, he said: “We will not stop nor delay the development our people deserve in order to make life easier for them.”
Babatunde’s achievements cut across various sectors including works & infrastructure and others.
The achievements are listed below:
* Reconstruction of drainage at Omotoye Estate and Coker Street.
* Rehabilitation of Otta Road, Amoo Street and Arigbanla Street in Orile Agege.
* Renovation of Alaagba Central Mosque
*Renovation of Legislative Building and all Councilor’s office.
* Reconstruction of 2 culverts at Olarokun and Jibowu Streets, onstruction of Box Culvert at Malowo Street.
Construction of Road at Jobak Street, Oshobu Street, Basanya Street
* Construction of Box Culvert at Owolabi Omotoye/Aiyegbami Street, Aminatu/Imashai Street, Oremeta/Raimi Street, Augusto Street, Adebari/Oko-Oba, Ilobu/Adikatu, Olabua Compound opposite Oko-Oba Road, Owolabi Omotoye by Ashipa Street
* Patching of roads af Sanyaolu Street, Oko – Oba Road, Dorcas Morolahun, Ayigbe/Agbedeyi/Salawu Street, Owolabi Omotoye Street, Ifeloju Street
*Rehabilitation of Road at Dayo Shittu Street, Ashipa Street, Ajiboye Street, Iyana Odo/Fadeyi Street, Basanya Street, Akintoye Street.
* Construction of Ultra Modern Legislative complex at the Council Secretariat, construction of Ultra Modern Council Hall at the Council Secretariat
* Rehabilitation of Zion Primary School Alaagba, with the erection of Water Fountain in the school premises
* Partners with Bhudrujani to build 8 Blocks of Classrooms at Ideal Primary School and Ibido Primary School
*Sponsoring of Inter primary school football competition in Orile Agege LCDA
* Presentation of over 150 free GCE forms yearly
* Presentation of free Jamb forms yearly
*Distribution of over 20000 exercise books
* Re-roofing of Ladoje Primary School
* Purchase of new school buses for primary school students
* Rehabilitation of 1 block 6 classrooms at Ideal Primary School Tabon Tabon
* Rehabilitation of 1 block of 6 classrooms at Government Comprehensive Junior College Alaagba and 1 block of 4 classrooms at Girls High School
* Provision of 200 dual seater desks and benches for the students of State High School
*Organising Inter School Debate and Quiz Competition
* Perimeter fencing of State Primary School Mulero
* Distribution of desk and benches to pupils of Zion African Church Primary School.
ENVIRONMENT & BEAUTIFICATION
* Distribution of waste bags to the 6 markets in Orile Agege LCDA for proper waste disposal
* Desilting of drains, fumigation, and tree planting
WELFARE & EMPOWERMENT
* Provision of two wheel chairs for the handicapped children at Ideal Primary School and provision of employment for their mothers.
* Empowerment programme for youths, widows, aged and physically challenged in Orile Agege LCDA, beneficiaries were given cash gifts
* Purchase of new utility vehicles for the councilors
* Empowerment of 60 people with N100,000 for poverty alleviation
* New utility vehicles for political office holders and management
* Distribution of food items to widows and widowers among others.
* Free Healthcare programme with emphasis on family at the Health Centres
* Awareness campaign on eradication of Lassa Fever
* 2 Days free health care programme for mothers and children to prevent childhood illness as well as immunisation vaccine campaign.
Some of the achievements recorded within one year in office by the Kosofe Local Government Chairman, Hon. Moyosore Ogunlewe that could be gathered by
ECHONEWS are captured in:
* Purchase of four revenue buses, Aluta jet bus for the National Union of Local Government Employee (NULGE), an ambulance for efficient service for all health centres in Kosofe LGA, and also a new bus for the councillors for smooth running of their administrative and oversight functions.
* Construction of roads.
* Distribution of 150 GCE forms.
* Deworming exercises for all public primary school pupils, and a host of other ongoing projects some of them over 70 per cent completion level, like the customary court, health centre, etcetera.
Honourable Ganiyu Okanlanwo, member representing Kosofe constituency at the Lagos State House of Assembly stated that the All Progressive Congress (APC) is proud of the executive chairman.
“We will continue to give him every necessary support because he has performed beyond the expectation of the people. He is indeed a grassroots leader,” Okanlanwo said.
The Executive Chairman of Agboyi Ketu Local Council Development Area ( LCDA), Hon. Dele Oshinowo’s achievements are captured in the following sectors:
WORKS AND INFRASTRUCTURE
• Construction of an ultra-modern 26-room administrative building.
• Construction of a 18-room L-shaped two storey office complex
• Rehabilitation and upgrading of several roads totaling 44.7 km
* Construction of roads including Alhaji Lawal Street, Oshoogun, Alhaji Owolabi Street, Oshoogun, Ogunjinrin Street, Oshoogun
* Rehabilitation of Ajayi Street, Ile-ile, Ketu, of Adebayo Street, Ketu, Alhaji Lawal Street, Ketu, Ibefun Street, Alapere, Ijagun Street, Alapere, Oriwu Street, Alapere and so many others.
• Construction of Agboyi-Ketu Ketu Shopping Arcade, Ajelogo
• Redevelopment of Ifelodun Plank Market which was razed down by fire seven years ago.
• Distribution of five transformers to some selected Community Development Associations
• Procurement of a 500kva generator set to ensure seamless administrative flow during power outages
•Ongoing construction works at Akanimodo/Ajelogo Housing Scheme, under a Public-Private Partnership Agreement
• Constant clearing of water hyacinth at Owode-Elede and Agboyi River.
* Construction of a block of nine classrooms at Alapere Primary School, Alapere, with the excellent garbing of the school building with chairs and tables, ICT center, conducive staff room, lavatory and a convenient library
• Completion of an abandoned building block of six classrooms at Irepodun Primary School, Alapere, with the excellent garbing of the school building with chairs and tables, ICT center, conducive staff room, lavatory and a convenient library
• Comprehensive renovation of dilapidated Pastor Adegboyega Primary School, Ketu, with the excellent garbing of the school building with chairs and tables, ICT center, conducive staff room, lavatory and a convenient library
• Periodic distribution of educational materials to pupils
• Periodic distribution of GCE forms to indigent students
• Distribution of bursary awards to undergraduate students
• Organization of holiday coaching during long term break
• Free bus ride for school children; morning and afternoon session
•Sponsorship of an indigent student for secondary school education.
•Periodic organization of career talk & ‘Say no to Social Vices’ for pupils
• Organising spelling bee competition
• Inauguration of Adult Education Centres across the LCDAs
• Inauguration of a vocational programme termed ‘We Lift’ aimed at training unemployed youths for a minimum of six months and maximum of two years depending on the vocational courses shortlisted for, the programme was inaugurated by the First Lady of Lagos State, Mrs. Ibijoke Sanwo-olu
Distribution of 10 Million Naira Relief Fund as an initiative to provide instant succour to affected victims of the END SARS pandemonium in Agboyi-Ketu LCDA
• Periodic distribution of food items to the aged, widows and widowers.
• Financial support to the aged and physically challenged.
• Periodic training program for widows on Soap, Ankara and Bead making
• Periodic provision of financial support to petty traders
• Periodic organisation of free medical mission
• Periodic organisation of free eye care programme
• Periodic awareness programme on Monkey Pox, Lassa Fever, and Measles
• Periodic mass deworming of school pupils
• Recruitment of top-notch health workers aside the workers on the payroll of the Lagos State Government.
• Launching of Agboyi-Ketu Waste Evacuation Programme
• Periodic Desilting of secondary canals within the LCDA.
* Periodic advocacy to flood prone areas
* Massive desilting of blocked drainage channels across Agboyi-Ketu LCDA, with 62 streets touched so far
• Successful hosting of the maiden Agboyi-Ketu Kids Cup won by Anglican Primary School,Ajegunle.
• Monthly organisation of fitness walk
• Successful hosting of the maiden Agboyi-Ketu table tennis championship
• Presentation of a Toyota Camry Car to the National Union of Local Government Employees, Agboyi-Ketu Chapter
• Sponsorship of staffers of the council to beneficial training programmes.
• Organising a week training for primary school teachers on simple mathematics techniques
* Presentation of two patrol vehicles to the two Police Divisions in Agboyi-Ketu LCDA, Alapere and Owode-Onirin Divisions
* Presentation of a 18 Seater Bus to Agboyi-Ketu Market Association
* Donation of 1.5million naira to Owode Onirin market so as to address the victims of fire incidents which occurred in the market late 2019.
SUPPORT FOR THE PARTY
• Monthly provision of financial assistance to members of the party who are petty traders.
• Periodic financial support to the less-privileged members of the party.
• Organisation of several empowerment programs for the youth/women wings of the party.
• Distribution of palliatives to party members during the thick phase of the first covid-19 lockdown declared by the Federal Government.
• Facilitation of pensionable jobs in both public and private sectors for party members through lobbying and constant interactions with all and sundry.
• Providing massive support for the youth/women wings of the party in actualizing their programs, such as the Annual Ramadan Lecture/Christmas carol from the year 2019 till date, yearly training of the youth on barbing, hairdressing, soap and bead making.
The achievements of the Executive Chairman of Bariga Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Hon. Kolade Alabi David in the last one year are:
* Construction of three standard roads which are: Ogunmefun Street Road, Eyiowuawi Street Road, Danmole Street Road
* Cnstruction of 16 pre cast culverts
* Rehabilitation and upgrading of the secretariat offices, council main hall, and marriage registry/multi purpose hall aimed at boosting the council’s Internal Generating Revenue IGR.
* Establishment of a cleaner Bariga initiative with weekly evacuation of canals and dislodging of drains across the council area.
* Signing of MOU with the MEGASEA Foundation aimed at providing a cleaner drinking water for all schools in the council area through the Clean Water for All Initiative.
The council boss said: “I must confess, I am overwhelmed with my people’s support in the last one year. I thank them for their support and belief in my leadership.
“Though no government without her challenges, the belief and support of our people have been making us more stronger.”
The Chairman of Ikosi-Isheri Local Council Development Area LCDA), Princess Samiat Abolanle Bada, while enumerating her administration’s landmark achievements in office in the last 12 months, assured residents of more dividends of democracy if given another chance to serve them.
Bada said her achievements are spread over different sectors including Education, Health, Security, Infrastructures, Welfare, Sports, youth and Social development among others.
According to her, Ikosi-Isheri LCDA under her leadership had embarked on the rehabilitation of Femi Oguns Street in Magodo, Ademola Osinowo Street in Ikosi, Alhaji Yekini Aromolate Street, Jamiu Balogun Street and Elegbeleye Street, all in Ketu.
She also mentioned the ongoing construction and remodeling of Ikosi fruits market.
According to Bada, the administration has also established the first Customary Court located in the Council Secretariat and the construction of the LCDA three-storey administrative block.
On education, the Chairman averred that her administration, during the period under review, distributed various educational materials, including furniture to teachers and pupils, as well as the distribution of hand sanitizers to the 12 Public Primary Schools in the area.
In the same vein, she said, the council has been providing free drugs to all Primary Health Centres, adding that periodic immunisation of children and provision of maternal care for mothers has also been a top priority.
“We distributed food packs and stipends to the elderly, widows and youths on a monthly basis, especially during COVID-19 lockdown restrictions. In addition, the Council also supported the Police, Revenue Officers and Chieftaincy Committee with utility vehicles, while 500 KVA transformer was donated to Maidan Patele-Orile community. We initiated the construction of pipe-borne water at Orisha Community and provided potable water supply for Ikosi primary schools.”
The first female Chairman of Ikosi-Isheri LCDA, Bada fondly called ‘Mayoress’, expressed her profound appreciation to the community leaders, residents and stakeholders for the continued support.
Some of the achievements of the chairman of Yaba LCDA, Hon. Kayode Omiyale, include the inauguration of a programme tagged Mega Empowerment with financial support to 100 women who got N100,000 each, 50 women getting N50,000 each,10 disabled, 20 pregnant women getting part of their baby items, with 20 aged people benefiting from the Programme.
The former house of assembly member representing Mainland Constituency II Hon. Oladele Adekanye stated that Omiyale has performed so well in many ways during his first tenure in office in the area of infrastructural development in Yaba LCDA.
Human Capital development was part of his achievements too which he started again in his second term.
he said women are the people you will see particularly in elections and registering of voters cards that they are always forgotten in term of giving them the dividends of democracy, he went further by saying he in love with the fact that of how he assembled them in giving then the dividends of democracy.
The Permanent Board Member Subeb Hon. Bayo Adefuye said Hon. Omiyale has performed wonderfully well during his first term in office and he has started well in his second term in office, hoping that his second term will be bigger and better than the first term.
Some of the beneficiaries Expressed their joy, saying that Omiyale has been doing a lot for the women in Yaba LCDA and they are really grateful for what he has done for them by not being biased in their selection, as they picked those in need of help to cater for.
Distribution of cash gifts and baby items to the pregnant women climax the event.
However, while the residents rated some of the local council chairmen higher in their performances within a year of their administration, others were scored low by their residents.
ECHONEWS gathered that most of those rated low were the council chairmen serving in their second term in office.
Like this content?
Subscribe to Echonews to receive our community news update in your inbox