Echonews Nigeria Community News

Echonews – GET the latest community news from Nigeria

Lagos Fire Service Seeks Collaboration With Cooking Gas Retailers


(Cooking gas retailers)

The Director, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Mrs. Margaret Adeseye has emphasised the need for effective collaboration between the Agency and the Cooking Gas Retailers Association, Lagos State Chapter, to curb the incessant fire outbreaks that are caused by the improper use of Camp Cooking Gas which is designed for outdoor use.

Adeseye made the call while welcoming a delegation led by the President of the Association, Comrade Akin Oyebowale, on a courtesy visit to the Headquarters of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service at Alausa, Ikeja.

She advised the delegation to regulate the activities of its members under a uniformed umbrella, engage the service of safety professionals to train their members and embark on public awareness to enlighten the public on the dangers of using substandard cooking gas cylinders.

While reiterating that proper training should be conducted for all cooking gas retailers in Lagos State, the Director emphasised that officials of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service must be brought on board and be fully involved in the training of members of the Association to achieve the desired goal.


Adeseye commended the Association for the visit and reiterated the need to enhance the relationship between the two bodies for the safety and well-being of residents in Lagos State.

On his part, the President of the Association, Comrade Akin Oyebowale thanked the Agency for the warm welcome, stating that the Association is concerned about gas-related fire outbreaks across the Lagos metropolis and has taken the initiative to conduct training for its members.

He, however, implored the Lagos State Government to set up an organisation replicating the duties of the Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON) at the State Level to checkmate the influx of substandard gas cylinders imported into the country.

Oyebowale asserted that this is necessary since the substandard cooking gas cylinders have caused a lot of havoc in homes and communities.